Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology
+49 (0) 89 / 2180 - 9601
Fax: +49 (0) 89 / 2180 - 9602
Research interests/Area of responsibility
Indian politics and contemporary history, diasporas and migration, the internet and social media, transnational networks, long-distance nationalism, multiculturalism, hybridity, the politics of the Indian diaspora.
- 2015-19: Smuts Research Fellow in Commonwealth Studies, University of Cambridge
- 2016-19: Postdoctoral Affiliate, Trinity College, Cambridge
- 2016-17: Teaching Associate, Centre of South Asian Studies, Department of Politics and International Studies, University of Cambridge
- 2015-16: Postdoctoral Affiliate, Darwin College, Cambridge
- 2018: University of Mumbai, India
- 2017: Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram, India
- Fellow of the Royal Asiatic Society
- Member of the Executive Council, British Association for South Asian Studies
- 2011-15: PhD, Faculty of History, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2009-10: MPhil, Modern South Asian Studies, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2007-09: MA, Political Science, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India
- 2003-06: BA(Hons), Politics and Philosophy, University of Leeds, UK
- ‘‘‘Smugglers of truth’’: the Indian diaspora, Hindu nationalism, and the Emergency (1975-77)’, Modern Asian Studies, Vol. 52, No. 5 (2018). With Patrick Clibbens.
- ‘South Asian Studies in Cambridge and beyond’, South Asian Studies, Vol. 33, No. 2 (2017).
- ‘‘‘Neo-Hindutva”: The Asia House M.F. Husain campaign and the mainstreaming of Hindu nationalist rhetoric in Britain’, Contemporary South Asia, Vol. 23, No. 1 (2015).
- ‘Transnational Hinduism (Europe, Africa and US)’, Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Asian History, ed. David Ludden (Oxford University Press). Under contract.
- ‘Hindu nationalism and the “saffronisation of the public sphere”’, Contemporary South Asia (Forthcoming, Dec 2018). With Christophe Jaffrelot.
- ‘“Neo-Hindutva”: Evolving forms, spaces, and expressions of Hindu nationalism’, Contemporary South Asia (Forthcoming, Dec 2018). With Arkotong Longkumer.
- Guest Editor of BASAS Conference 2016 Special Issue: ‘Selected Papers from the British Association of South Asian Studies Annual Conference, Cambridge, 2016’, South Asian Studies, Vol. 33, No. 2 (2017).