Return to Pakistan: The Political Economy of the Emotions of Remigration
German Research Foundation (DFG) Grant SO 435/14-1 (funding period: 2019-2022)
Fields of Interest:
- Anthropology of migration
- (Im)mobility, irregular migration, “voluntary” returns and deportations
- Border regimes, citizenship and identity
- Anthropology of emotions
- Medical anthropology
- Cultural psychology
Regions of interest:
South Asia: Pakistan
- 2019-Present: Research Associate, LMU Munich
- 2018: M.A. Heidelberg University
- 2015: B.A. (Hons) University College Utrecht
- Mahar, U. (2020). Affective Economies of Ageing: Masculinity, migration and the pursuit of youthfulness in old age. Journal of Bodies Sexuality and Masculinity, 1(2).
- Mahar, U. (2020). Inducing Return to Pakistan: "Voluntary" return programs in Germany. The South Asianist Journal, 7, 57-70.
News & Online Publications
- Mahar, U. (2020). Is the Pandemic a Chance to Challenge Global Inequality? Sapiens: Anthropology / Everything Human
- Mahar, U. (2020). The Quarantine Divide. Culture in Quarantine. Lisbon: The Lisbon Consortium.
- Mahar, U. (2020). Interview titled "Die Idee der freiwilligen Rückkehr ad absurdum geführt". In Globale Gesellschaft, edited by Maria Stöhr. Der Spiegel.
- Christides, G., Lüdke, S., Mahar, U., & Popp, M. (2020). Europa schießt scharf. Der Spiegel, issue 20/2020, 78-81. (Slightly different English version: The Killing of a Migrant at the Greek-Turkish Border).
For more recent publications
Conferences (organised); Workshops (conducted); Papers (presented)
- July 2020: EASA2020, Portugal (virtual attendance)
Title of conference: New Anthropological Horizons in and Beyond Europe
Title of panel: The Affective Economy of Deportation and Return (P073)
Convenors: Dr. Martin Sökefeld and Dr. Sabine Strasser (Discussant: Dr. Shahram Khosravi)
Title of paper (presented): Documents, Destiny and Returning to Pakistan: Making sense of (im)mobility
- June 2020: Caritas, Augsburg (virtual attendance)
Title of conference: Transnational Exchange IV: A European counselling perspective on region-specific return and reintegration
Title of workshop (conducted): Understanding “Voluntary” Returns to Pakistan: Pre- and post-return scenarios
- February 2020: Coming Home, Munich
Title of workshop (conducted): Can AVR be Made More Voluntary and Sustainable?
- January 2020: Bellevue Di Monaco, Munich
Title of workshop/panel: “Nationale Kraft-Anstrengung!” Macht Abschiebung Sinn? (“National Effort!” Do Deportations Make Sense?)
- December 2019: Migrant Recourse Centre and Punjab University, Lahore
Title of conference (acted as discussant): Migration from Pakistan: Facts Avenues and Challenges
- December 2019: Centre for Peace and Security (NUST), Islamabad
Title of conference: Forced Migration and Prospective Responses
Title of paper (presented): The Ethics and Sustainability of “Voluntary” Returns: A critical look at AVR programs in Germany
- November 2018: Heidelberg Centre for the Environment (Heidelberg University), Heidelberg
Title of conference (organised): Sustainable Development in Action (SDiA) 2018
- October 2017: Centre for Asian and Transcultural Studies (Heidelberg University), Heidelberg
Title of conference (organised): Images of Age and Ageing (in Germany and India)
- June 2017: Centre for Asian and Transcultural Studies (Heidelberg University), Heidelberg
Title of conference (organised): New Directions in ‘Active Ageing‘ and ‘Age-friendly Culture‘ in India and Germany
- April 2017: Der Kunst Der Welt, Cologne
Title of conference (active participation): The Extreme Centre