Areas of research and interest
Economic anthropology, especially anthropology of finance; material culture and museum anthropology; social aesthetics.
Focus region: Asia, especially Japan
Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology
Research project “Aesthetics of War”
Material culture plays an important role in the creation of a social aesthetics which influences society. With a focus on the times of war, research into this field is done by studying textiles, objects of everyday use but also art created in Japan between c. 1894 and 1945.
- since April 2017: Lecturer at LMU
- October 2016 – February 2021: PhD in Social and Cultural Anthropology at LMU and East Asian Art History at University of Zurich. Thesis “Aesthetics of War: Japanese War Motif Kimonos".
- October 2014 – July 2016: Master in Social and Cultural Anthropology at LMU.
- October 2011 – July 2014: Bachelor in Social and Cultural Anthropology at LMU.
- Winter semester 2019/2020: Seminar “Japan in Germany – Germany in Japan”
- Summer semester 2018: Seminar “Anthropology of Finance”
- Summer semester 2017: Seminar “From Gulliver’s Travels to Anime – Ethnography of Japan”
- University Bonn, 11/2020, 35. Tagung der Initiative zur historischen Japanforschung, “Japanische Kriegsmotiv-Kimonos: Spiegel einer nationalen Identität?”
- UCLA Los Angeles, 10/2019, 24th Annual Japan Studies Graduate Conference, "Poetics Of War: War Motif Kimonos".
- Lindenmuseum Stuttgart, 09/2019, "Krieg als Mode? Über die Bedeutung von japanischen Kriegsmotiv-Kimonos".
- Völkerkundemuseum Heidelberg, 05/2019, "Trompeten und Textilien - Japanische Kimonos als Teil einer Ästhetik des Krieges".
- University Zurich, 05/2019, "Trumpets and Textiles - War in the Japanese material culture from 1931 to 1945", Guest lecture as part of the lecture series "War and Peace in East Asian Art".
- 14th EAJS PhD Workshop, University Belgrad, 10/2018, "Aesthetics of War: Japanese War Motif Kimonos".
- 9th Annual EU Workshop of Kansai University, Zurich, 10/2017, "Aesthetics of War - Material Culture from the Shōwa Period".
- 2nd conference of the European Association for Asian Art and Archaeology, Zurich, 08/2017: "Japanese War Kimonos: History, Connectivities and Meanings".