Areas of research and interest
Main areas of interest: Anthropology of politics, "natural" disasters, migration, diaspora and transnationalism, theory of identity, Islam, Alevism. Regional specialisation: South Asia, especially Northern Pakistan (Gilgit-Baltistan) and Kashmir, Germany.
Office No. 030
+49 (0) 89 / 2180 - 9600
Fax: +49 (0) 89 / 2180 - 9602
On Mondays 3 - 4 pm and by appointment
- October 2019 - present: Chairman of the Ethics Committe for Social and Cultural Anthropology, European Ethnology and Intercultural Communication of the Faculty for the Study of Culture, LMU Munich
- October 2015 - September 2017: Vice-Dean of the Faculty for the Study of Culture, LMU Munich
- October 2013 - September 2015: Dean of the Faculty for the Study of Culture, LMU Munich
- since October 2008: Chair of Social and Cultural Anthropology, LMU Munich
- 2005 - 2008 Assistant Professor, Institute of Social Anthropology, University of Bern, Switzerland
- May 2005 Habilitation, Hamburg University
- 1999-2005 Assistant Professor, Institut of Social Anthropology, Hamburg University
- 1997-1999 Assistant Lecturer, Institute of Social Anthropology, Hamburg University
- 1996 PhD, Faculty for the Study of Culture, Tübingen University
- 1991 - 1994 Research fellow, Institute of Social Anthropology, Tübingen University (as part of the research project "Culture Area Karakorum")
- 1990 Master, University of Cologne
- 1983 - 1990 Studies of Social Anthropology, Philosophy and Roman languages, University of Cologne
- Spatial production and identity negotiations along Xinjiang’s roads. Project within the research network Crossroads Asia. Funded by the Federal Ministry for Education and Research, 2015-2016.
- Welfare as contact zone between Christians and the State: Experiences of state and citizenship in Pakistan. Funded by DFG, 2014-2017.
- The appropriation of mobile phones by women in the context of gender relations in Gilgit-Baltistan. Funded by the DFG 2013-16.
- The Attabad landslide. Funded by DFG.
- Coping with change in Gilgit-Baltistan. Research cooperation between the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology, LMU, the National Institute of Pakistan Studies, Quaid-I-Azam University, Islamabad, and Karakorum International University, Gilgit. Funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), 2011-13.
- Water and social mobility. Part-project of the research network Crossroads Asia. Funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, 2011 - 2014.
- Politics of reconstruction after the earthquake in Pakistan and Kashmir, 2005. Funded by the Swiss National Research Foundation (SNF), 2009-2010, and by the DFG since July 2010.
- State and Civil Society iin Pakistan, students research group. Research funded by the DAAD.
- Kashmiri Diaspora and the Kashmir Dispute, funded by the Wenner-Gren Foundation, New York, 2006-2009. Funding expired by research continues.
Workshops and Conferences
- Willkommenskultur in der Migrationsgesellschaft: Flucht, Asyl und Regulierungspraxis (Welcome culture in migration society): Workshop, LMU Munich, February 2 - 3, 2018.
- The politics of lists: Contestations of inclusion and exclusion at the state/non-state interface. Workshop, co-organized with Sabine Strasser (University of Bern) at the conference of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Völkerkunde (German Anthropological Association), Berlin, October 4 - 7, 2017. Call for papers.
- Spaces of Conflict in Everyday Life: Figurations and Methodology. Conference of the Research Network Crossroads Asia, LMU Munich, October 11, 2014.
- "Under suspicious eyes: surveillance states, security zones and ethnographic fieldwork:" Workshop, jointly organised with Sabine Strasser (University of Berne) at the 13th EASA-Conference, Tallinn, 31 July - 3 August 2014. Call for papers.
- Summer School Anthropological Fieldwork Methods. In cooperation with Karakorum International University, Gilgit, and Quaid-I-Azam University, Islamabad. Gilgit, Pakistan, August / September 2013.
- Research School Anthropology of Disasters. Gilgit, Pakistan, March 19 - 30, 2012. More information here.
- "Politics of Disasters:" Workshop, jointly organised with Edward Simpson (SOAS), at the 12th EASA conference, Paris, July 10-13, 2012. Call for papers
- "Jammu and Kashmir: Boundaries and Movements". International Symposium, funded by the DFG, Frauenwörth, July 16-19, 2011. More informationen here.
- "Ethnologie und Naturkatastrophen": Workshop, jointly organised with Ute Luig, conference of the DGV, Vienna, September 14-17, 2011. Call for papers.
- "At the margins of Islam in Europe": Workshop, jointly organised with Marzia Balzani,11th EASA conference, Maynooth, August 24-27, 2010. Call for papers.
PDF-Download List of Publications (221 KB)